f

Monday, August 3, 2020

What's Old is New Again

A few weeks ago, I had brunch with my mother and my brother. My brother is one that really appreciates fashion. Maybe it has something to do with growing up around me ;) He commented on how during the 20th century every decade was quite distinctive. One can tell just by looking that the style of the garment was from the 1920s, the 1940s, the 1970s, and so on. He said that since the turn of the 21st century, it seems that there is no longer a distinction between decades. I had not thought about it, but for the most part, I think he is right. 

I so enjoy a wonderful sewist, Pauline of Sew You Think You Can. She is so talented, and loves to look at designer pieces and figure out how to knock them off. Her creations are fabulous!!! Pauline recently came across a number of vintage patterns that she posted on Instagram. I was shocked when I saw the pattern below.


I bought this pattern when I was still in junior high!!! Obviously I have kept it all these years, along with many others. So, when I saw that Pauline had gotten the pattern, I sent her a note and told her that I have it too!!! 

Pauline and I have decided to pair up and make the pattern. She is doing the romper. I'm not exactly sure what I will do, but my heart is telling me to make the jumpsuit.

I came across this picture just this morning. It's almost the exact same style! I love all the piped seams. What's interesting is that Pauline had already said that she was going to make hers out of a gingham fabric. Do we have telepathy or what?!!

  
We are planning to meet again next Sunday via a zoom call and show each other our muslins. It's interesting the things you remember. I told Pauline that I remember the pattern being a little short in the crotch. When she pulled the pattern out of the envelope, she immediately saw that it IS short in the crotch. I will need to do a little grading up as I am not a size 10. But, all in all, it should be a fun project. We will start sharing once we have our muslins together.

Isn't the sewing community just the best?!!
 Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it great how we can zoom and facetime our sewing together? I can't wait for your fun to begin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the days when patterns were only $1.50...or less! I have kept all of my old patterns too, thinking someday that I'll re-make one or find someone who wants them. This romper would be cute made into a sundress too! Have fun collaborating and revisiting an old favorite style!

    ReplyDelete