f

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Sunday's Supper/Marukan Chicken

Yes, it's me, a real post!
This winter has been very quiet blog wise, but full of so many other adventures. Sadly, I have allowed blog posts to slide. A friend whom I met through the blog sent a note yesterday, "just checking on you!" Funny how something like a quick note can have such a huge impact. And so, I'm back :)

I do have a soup recipe to share. I'll post it later this week, but I just have to share this recipe with you! It is not my own invention, and I can't remember how I found it, but I am SO glad that I did. While my diet is basically a vegetarian diet, and one that tends to be even vegan, from time to time, I will make a chicken dish. My husband tells everyone that he is vegetarian by proxy, in other words, he eats what I cook ;) So, from time to time, I give in and give him a treat. 

Now, doesn't this look amazing?!!!
This is a picture that I took of my finished dish, and trust me, it's as delicious as it looks.


The recipe calls for bone in chicken thighs. I used boneless, and I don't think it affected the outcome in the least bit. I also used 6 oz. of dried apricots rather than the 8 oz. that are called for. I had most everything on hand, except for the olives. With all the grocery store shortages, I thought that I might not get what I wanted. What I found, and felt worked perfectly were Mezzetta Pitted Castelvetrano Italian Olives

*A note;
Do not leave out the apricots! I know the combination of ingredients sounds a bit strange, but it all works. My husband had seconds, and wanted more, but there was dessert :)

Marukan Chicken with Apricots and Olives

1 hour 30 minutes
6 Servings
1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp
Olive Oil
1 tsp
Thyme, dried
8
Chicken Thighs, bone-in
To Taste
Kosher or Fine Sea Salt
To Taste
Black Pepper
1
White Onion, cut in half then sliced
4 Cloves
Garlic, minced
1 1/2 Cup
Low Sodium Gluten Free Chicken Broth
4
Bay Leaves, small
8 oz
Apricots, dried
2 Cups
Sicilian Olives, pitted and smashed
For Garnish
Paprika
For Garnish
Parsley chopped

Instructions;

Combine Marukan Seasoned Gourmet Rice Vinegar with 1⁄4 cup olive oil and thyme. Set aside. Remove the skin and excess fat from the chicken thighs and season generously with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a Dutch oven or stock pot over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken, in batches, meaty side down, and brown well on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the pot, add the onion along with a big pinch of salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Add the vinegar mixture to the pot and cook, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan, for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth and bay leaves, stir to combine and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the sauce is just beginning to thicken slightly. Add the apricots and olives, stir to combine, and nestle the chicken thighs into the mixture. Cover the pot and cook for 40 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for another 15 minutes. Sprinkle the top with paprika and chopped parsley and serve with rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice.

Recipe Credit: Simply Gluten Free

You can find a printable version of the recipe HERE
 This is a company worthy dish. I really think you'll love it. There are lots of interesting recipes on the Marukan website, so check  them out :) 

Hope you are all well!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

No comments:

Post a Comment