f

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Checking In

My week is off to a great start, I'm being a bit facetious ;). We arrived home last night to find our hot water heating spewing water. Exciting! So I am now waiting for the guys to arrive and install a new one. I find it rather interesting whenever something happens and I'm without one of the modern conveniences that I've become so accustomed to, be it electricity, hot water, or even something like the dishwasher, and how life just suddenly seems to get rather complicated. Some talk about returning to the "good old days," well, I like these brand new days just fine and I'll be VERY happy when I can take a nice hot shower. I think everyone around will be too!!!

I opened my Facebook page this morning and found that the video below was posted 4 years ago. For any of you who are new to the blog, this was a project that so many participated in. I found out about a project at the Mary Bridge Children's Hospital in Tacoma, WA. Each child who is admitted is given a special handmade pillowcase. Such a lovely way to help calm a child. 

My goal was to collect 1000 pillowcases, and we made that goal! It was so exciting to see the pillowcases come in from all over the world. 

During the project, I heard from a few parents who had lost their children, and they told how much the pillowcase that was given to their child continues to mean to them. You would think that something that was attached to the death of their child would not bring comfort. But as I thought about it, I realized that there is something almost magical about the pillowcases, and it's because they were made with love, and I think that this is what the parent continues to feel. Not only did they love their child, but a stranger cared enough to make something that exhibited their love for a child they would never meet.   




Once I learned more about this project, I found out that hospitals all over the U.S. have similar programs. You can read more about the program HERE. And if you would like to make a pillowcase, click HERE. The video above was done early in the project. You can scroll though and see more pictures HERE.   

As soon as my new hot water heater is installed, and I can get a shower, the next post will be up for the Islander Patterns Easy V Express Top. Thanks for your patience :)



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

7 comments:

  1. Welcome home, Rhonda. And I hope the water heater replacement goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that feeling. We opened the door to go to the car on Thursday and found the garage floor full of water. Had to wait till Friday to get the new one. Refrigerator decided to go as well and have had to order a new one. Just want my sewing machine to keep working and I'll be ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, you really got a double dose!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there won't be a third!

      Delete
  3. How frustrating when an important appliance breaks down! Hope your hot water heater has already been replaced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Compared to what you have had to deal with, this was nothing! Happy to report that we have a new hot water heater that is producing lovely hot water 😊

      Delete
  4. Hope all is OK with you; you have been on silent for a bit. Hope the hot water is back and no more "surprises."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All is good 😊 Thanks for checking in! There's a new post up today.
      Hope you aren't burning up in the Texas heat.

      Delete