f

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Ginger Jeans/Pockets and The Front Fly

I'm an early riser. I love getting up to a dark and quiet house. When Little Bit was still with us, the moment she heard my feet hit the floor, she too would yawn, stretch, and make her way out from wherever she was sleeping at the moment. And of course, Gracie would follow. On cool mornings, I would go downstairs, make my tea, come back up stairs, and light the fire. Little Bit would snuggle into the chair beside me, while Gracie would go back to sleep in the adjoining room. With her heavy coat, she's not a big fan of being warm. Now that Little Bit is gone, Gracie sees no point in following me around during the early hours of the day. I get up, and she snuggles in a little closer to my husband, no longer concerned that Little Bit may get something that she would miss out on ;) So now the house is truly quiet when I rise. 

It's a cold and wet morning here in Chicago. A fabulous day for a fire and a cup of tea. I enjoy coming back upstairs, lighting the fire and opening my email. Not today, horror of horrors, the internet was out!!! As I went from my phone, to my laptop, to the desk top computer, I had to laugh as I thought about a commercial that makes me laugh each and every time I see it. It's a little creepy, sad...and funny, especially the last scene where he sets off a flare. I've shared it below. Maybe it will start your day off with a smile as well :)   



Now that we've had a morning laugh, or have been totally creeped out!!,  I wanted to let you know that my new post is up for the Ginger Jeans sew along on the Sew News blog. You can find it HERE

In this week's post, we install the front pockets


As well as the fly front zipper. Take note that at this point, the zipper will extend above the waistline. If you have never installed a fly front zipper, you are in for a treat. I think they are the easiest to install, and by far, my favorite! 


When installing the pockets, remember that there is a pocket stay, which I absolutely love as it not only holds the pocket in place, but acts as a tummy control panel as well. Both the pocket lining and the pocket stay should be made out of a 100% cotton fabric. I used quilting cotton for my pockets.


In this post, I also show you how to sew the pockets so that there is a beautifully finished seam. Not only does it look great, it's also a little more durable. 


Next week, I'll put up a Link Party so that if you are making the jeans, you can share your pictures.

If by chance you have not purchased a pattern, you can find the PDF version HERE at Shop Sew It All. Or you can find a printed paper pattern HERE at Closet Case Files. If you do opt for the PDFversion, there is a copy shop version, so no taping!!!

Have a wonderful day, and may a little laughter come your way :)
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for the sneak peek of the wedding dress. It is so sophisticated and flattering. I can't wait for more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have my commiseration re the internet, I recently had no landline/internet for a week!
    I was thinking of Little Bit yesterday as it was the 6th anniversary for my 21 year old Border Terrier Shadow.
    Your Niece's dress is gorgeous and she is a very attractive young lady as well as being a lucky one having such a talented Aunty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet Lucy. For some reason yesterday was a difficult day for me. There are just some days that it really hits me as to how much I miss her.

      Delete
  3. Rhonda, I really do understand, I can go ages remembering my late SO and Shadow with a smile. I miss them both but I can just enjoy the memories of the 3 of us having fun and then there are days when not having them in my life is as raw as though it had just happened.
    I console myself with the knowledge that they are together, free of pain and waiting for me is just a heartbeat of time for them.
    It is us on earth who measure time as we do, so our dogs are having fun and doing all the things that they used to do before age took it's toll on them and in the fullness of time we'll be with them.
    Take care, your both being thought of on this side of the pond :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use cotton in my pockets too, but I turn it so that the right side shows inside the garment. It makes me sad when a pretty pattern is hidden inside the pocket where it's difficult to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really make me smile :) Only a sewista would be sad over not seeing a pretty print.

      Delete
  5. Been thinking of you lately. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm doing well, just a little sad still. Gracie has been such a gift. She and I are still finding our way. Today begins my eye exams, regular eye doctor today, and then the retinologist next week. Life goes on :)

      Delete
    2. I hope all goes well with the eye exams. Hugs and prayers.

      Delete