Friday, August 26, 2011

Fabulous Free Pattern Friday

What a day I have had. First thing this morning I broke my shoe. Thankfully there were ties on the shoes, so I just tied them a little tighter and went on my way. I had a flight to do, sadly no puppies or kittens today. When I made it to my destination I was told that the fuel trucks were contaminated so I would have to go to the fuel farm and pump my own gas. Not a problem,usually, but the pumps made no sense so I decided to fly to a nearby airport and get fuel there. When I arrived, I realized that I had left my wallet on the tank back at the other airport. Panic of course ensued. I was able to call and get someone to go and look for my wallet. They found it and held it for me until I could get back and pick it up. Then I had to wait forever to takeoff as there were these World War II planes doing formation flights. Finally, I made it back to the other airport, picked up my wallet and headed for home.
Now that I have made it home safe and sound, on to something easy and fun.
I love to wear capes, shawls, I'm not actually sure what to call them. As you can see, I have a number of them in my wardrobe. They are super simple to make, and make great gifts as well. I throw them on when I have quick errands to run, especially when I'll be in and out  of the car. They are great when the weather is cold enough for something, but not a heavy coat, and they even work over a lighter coat when it is cold out.  
The first one is reversible. On one side I did a cream wool and on the other side is a deep heathered green.

 The second is a felted wool. This took absolutely no time. What took the most time was deciding where I wanted the stripes to fall. After I cut it, I turned the raw edge back and did a small zigzag stitch along the edge. The stitches melt into the fabric. I would try to show you, but you really can't see them.



The third piece is a double faced wool knit. To finish the edges I first of all rounded them and then cut a piece of boucle knit to bind the edges.




 This pattern is really just a rectangle. Very simple. I am going to give you the measurements that I used as the piece is fairly one size fits all. If you are shorter, you will want to shorten this a bit. I am 5'6" tall. The piece falls just about at the back of my knee, a good length for me. So if you are taller, you may want to add a little to my measurement. First you will need 2 1/8 yards of fabric (a little more if you are taller or if you have a stripe that you want to fall a certain way). The fabric needs to be at least 54" wide. In the drawing below I show 27" wide. Remember, the fabric is folded in half.
On the folded edge, measure up 36" and measure in 3". The dotted line I have drawn in will be the front opening.You will want to cut on this line. For the black stripe and the reversible cream pieces, I wanted the side edges to not look so square, so I measured up 6" on both ends and did a slight curve that starts about midpoint of the ends and curves up to the selvage edge. If your fabric is exactly 54" wide and you don't like the selvage edge, just cut it off. A half inch won't make that much of a difference. At this point, cut out your fabric and finish the edges however you like. It's just that simple. In fact, you can draw this on your fabric with a chalk pencil. No need to make an actual pattern. If you would like a rounded edge like I did on the double faced wool, just draw it in. For that piece I rounded all four corners.

Hope you've had a wonderful week.
I'm off to bed!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you! I too love a cape/shawl, sometimes in a lightweight fabric to cut the AC chill indoors and sometimes to add another layer of warmth when it does start to get cold. You definitely made each one unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to go pick out fabric.. I am thinking to try a fleece that compliments my sons football team..Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot wait to go pick out fabric.. I am thinking to try a fleece that compliments my sons football team..Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete