f

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Sunday's Soup

With all the soup recipes that I have posted, I'm sure you can guess that I really enjoy a bowl of soup. Last year, while my husband and I were out skiing, we stopped for lunch and, surprise, surprise, I had a bowl of soup. It was fabulous!!! It was a creamy tomato/cabbage type of goulash. I've thought about that soup ever since and I've decided to try and come up with my own version since the restaurant would not share the recipe. I understand, but I was also quite disappointed. What I decided to do is try out a few recipes and then maybe do a little combining and tweaking until I can find the combination that I like. The recipe I'm sharing today was found on the food.com website. Not what I'm looking for, but it did give me some ideas. The soup as it is, is very good. You can find the original recipe here. I made a few very minor changes. My version is posted below.


Tomato Cabbage Soup

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions chopped
4 stalks celery chopped
1 28oz. can of diced fire roasted tomatoes
2 14 oz. cans of Cannelloni beans drained and rinsed
1 small cabbage chopped
3 large carrots chopped
1/4 cup chili sauce
8 cups of water
2 large vegetable bouillon cubes
1 teaspoon of dried basil
1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in large soup pot. Add onions and celery. Cook until vegetables are tender.
Add remaining ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

If you would like, chicken sausage makes a nice addition if you would like a non vegetarian version. Saute the sausage until browned. Set aside and add when all other ingredients are added to the pot.
The 1/4 cup of chili sauce makes this soup rather spicy. I love spicy, so it was just right for me. Just start with less and add more a little at the time.

This soup will freeze well.

If by chance you have a creamy tomato/cabbage goulash type soup that you enjoy, leave a link to the recipe, and I'll give it a try. Or, you may also email the recipe to me, sewbussted@yahoo.com.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

3 comments:

  1. Sounds tasty. Off to check the cupboard for ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to see your sunday soup series again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean :) I had to get busy as I promised a friend that I would do at least 52.

      Delete