f

Monday, May 26, 2014

Monday Morning Inspiration

Good Morning Everyone! 
In a few weeks, I am going to have the opportunity to go to St. Louis, Missouri and see a little opera. To my surprise, and delight!, Issac Mizarhi has designed and is directing the production of Mozart's, The magic Flute. I know that over the years, Issac's career has had some less than stellar moments, like losing his backing and being forced to close his business in 1998 due to mounting losses. There have been other low moments which you can read here, but what I love about Isaac is his ability to always make a come back. After I discovered that he had designed the costumes for The Magic flute, I decided to do a little looking around and I found these lovely sketches and I thought that you might enjoy having a look as well.   








Below are gowns that he designed for Michelle Obama and her daughters. So impressive. 
 As I read more about Issac, I found that he has designed for other opera productions and I found a couple of sketches that he did for a production of Peter and The Wolf.
 
The St. Louis Opera Theater sent this very video which gives you a glimpse of the costumes



If by chance you are anywhere near St. Louis, I would strongly recommend trying to get tickets for this production. I think it will be a very magical night.
Issac Mizarhi has become my new hero :-)!!!!
Have a wonderful week.
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for this Rhonda . I loved Isaac on Project Runway and he is now on our Canadian Shopping Channel .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he is just the sweetest man. So happy to see him finding so much success.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed the sketches and the video, Rhonda. Won't be in St. Louis, but it would be nice if the show went on the road!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea Andrea!! All the critics are praising the production, so maybe.....

      Delete
  3. Love this post, and the St. Louis Opera Co! I went to college in St. Louis, and was a real fan of the shows and the amazing work the costumers did there! That was my first job offer many years ago, but I wanted to come back home to NYC. I would have loved to work there, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we have have something in common, I also started life out as a costume designer. I'll be sure to do a post about my experience once I've seen the opera.

      Delete
  4. Oh, what fun this event will be for you! I loved seeing the sketches, then the actual garments in the video. Isaac is so talented. Marvelous, darling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot wait!!! The only thing that would put the experience over the top would be to actually meet Issac!!!! Wouldn't that be incredible?!!!

      Delete
  5. Wow! What a great teaser ad that is. Thanks for sharing these sketches and clip. I don't think I have seen his sketches before, so fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so surprised when I found the sketches, as I had not seen any of them before either. Glad you enjoyed them :)

      Delete
  6. What a magical time you will have. Thanks for this blog on the event. I wish I could go with you, but unfortunately am nowhere near St. Louis. Tell them to take this on the road to Raleigh, NC and they will already have sold two tickets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you and Andrea have really hit on something. They really should take this production on the road! I'll be sure to post about the evening.

      Delete
  7. OMG, I love that pic from Peter and the Wolf!
    You are so fortunate, those costumes look stunning. The sketches remind me of a certain Ungaro from 1989 that adorns my office wall. Thank you for styling my office so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see this opera. I think it is going to be pretty amazing.
      So happy the Ungaro sketch has found a good home :)

      Delete