f

Monday, January 15, 2018

Monday Morning Inspiration/Grommets

It's a gray, snowy day, and I don't have to be anywhere!!! I LOVE days like this, winter's blanket all around, a nice cup of tea in a big mug, and a fire in the fireplace. Now, that's heaven :) Well, add one more thing to the mix, I get to sew all day...now that really does make it heaven!!! The only outdoor activity will be to take Gracie out for a hike. It would be a sin to not allow her to enjoy a snowy day.

I recently came across this detail on Pinterest. The jacket is from the Kenzo 2016 Fall collection. I love finding alternatives to using buttons, so this caught my eye. We are so fortunate now to have access to such fun alternative pieces. Grommets now come in lots of sizes and colors, so why not make use of them in our clothing designs?

   
Another fun piece from the same Kenzo collection. Love the top stitching!


Once I started clicking around, I found that Proenza Schouler used grommet details in their entire 2016 Fall Ready To Wear collection. While the designs may not be for everyone, I think they offer some great inspiration. 







This is also from the Kenzo 2016 Fall collection.


Thought this detail was rather interesting. The grommets are on a backpack. Love how they used a smaller grommet and threaded the elastic cord through it and then through the button. Great detail!


We saw this detail when we were taking a look at pant designs, but I thought it was worth repeating.


So, the next time you visit the fabric store, be sure to head over to the Home Dec section and check out the grommets. Like I said, there are lots of colors and sizes, so the sky is the limit as far as design is concerned. If you want a specific color, you can always head over to the auto parts store and pick up some paint and paint the grommet to match your fabric!

Have a wonderfully creative week!
Rhonda   



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

11 comments:

  1. You wrote grommets but what first caught my eye was the topstitching! Thanks for the extraordinary burst of inspiration, Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see an idea percolating in your head 😉

      Delete
  2. The top stitching and the grommets on the Kenzo garments is gorgeous. Thank you for sharing these details. I love the ties on the sleeves. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the inspo Rhonda!!! I loooove grommets. However, I wish I can find some good quality ones. I made an Anthropologie knock off dress last year with several Dritz grommets on the sleeves but to my utter dismay, the metal was tarnished after the first wash. I wish I can find some of the nice ones they use in RTW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love them all. I have been looking for large grommets in different colors (red, green, yellow, blue, white) for a jacket I have in mind to make. I can't find the grommets. Do you know where I can find them? I've tried suggested places in NY to no success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can find some metal grommets, sand them, and then use some auto paint in the color you wish. You can find small tubes of touch up paint at the automotive store.

      Delete
  5. I love grommets. I’ve used them several times for curtains and bags. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely some interesting ideas here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Each piece was very interesting and not just the grommets for inspiration, but also the top stitching. The Proenza piece caught my eye with the heavily quilted dress fabric. The quilting gave the dress lovely texture.

    ReplyDelete