f

Monday, October 16, 2017

Monday Morning Inspiration/Stephen Burrows

It was quite the weekend here in Chicago. The weather forecast was for 1.50" of rain...we had over 5"! I watched as the river rose, and rose, and rose. Thankfully, the rain did not come all at one time. The river is still very high and has a very strong current, but as I sat down to do my morning writing, I heard the rowers go by at 5:30 a.m. Talk about dedication! 

I was once asked if I thought that I might one day run out of inspirational pieces to share on Mondays. I replied with an emphatic, NO!!! As long as there are people in this world, someone is going to be doing something that inspires :)

Our fashion show chair for the 2018 Haute Couture fashion show has entitled her show, American Fashion. She has been especially inspired by the work of Stephen Burrows. If you have never heard of him before, he is known as the first African-American designer to develop a mainstream, high-fashion clientele. His garments, known for their bright colors, and lettuce curly edges, became an integral part of the "Fun City" New York City disco dancing scene of the 1970s. 


In 1978, Farah Fawcett wore his chainmail dress to the Oscar's where she was a presenter.


In 1968, Stephen was introduced to Geraldine Stutz, the owner of Henri Bendel. She loved the coat that he wore so much that she gave him a boutique in the store.


His designs which are still quite reminiscent of the 1970s, also hold a timeless quality.


The lettuce-edged knits that he became known for.


From his exhibit,"When Fashion Danced."


Love the bright colors. The designs are simple, but the colors make the pieces pop!


Inspirational fashion illustration by Stephen Burrows.


People of influence are still wearing his clothing. Michelle Obama in a Stephen Burrows pantsuit.


We plan to have a segment in the show that will represent the fashion of Stephen Burrows. I have promised to do a piece from the fashion illustration. I'll share what I'm doing soon!

Thought I would leave you today with this thought from Geraldine Stutz...
 

Make it a stylish week :)
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

10 comments:

  1. Heseems to have inspired the brand desigual...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you ran this article. I have a darling tie front dress pattern by Stephen Burrows but didn't know who he was. I now have a better idea of what fabric/pattern to use to do it justice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You lucky little duck!!! I am now going to have to look for Stephen Burrows patterns. I didn't know there were any.

      Delete
  3. Very interesting piecing. Definitely gives me some ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What absolutely gorgeous designs. I LOVE his use of colour blocking and all the pieces are very which and fun. I wasn't familiar with his work before. Thank you. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing Rhonda!!! You never fail to disappoint getting one's mojo back ... FIESTA :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for introducing me to this talented designer. I hadn't heard of him. The clothes are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not heard of him either. Love all the inspiration 😊

      Delete
  7. Cheerful clothing. Lots of fabulous colours - and who doesn't like disco?
    The final quote in this post is magnificent. Thank you Rhonda 😃

    ReplyDelete