f

Monday, October 24, 2016

Monday Morning Inspiration/Maria Pinto

I'm beginning my week tired, but it's a good tired. My niece's wedding was Saturday night. A magical night for sure! Not only were two incredible souls officially united, but the Cub's won and will be going to the World Series. It's going to be a little crazy here in Chicago for a while!

Yesterday was the day after brunch which we hosted at our home. We could not have asked for a lovelier day. The weather was absolutely perfect. There were about 80 guests who came by to eat a little breakfast, enjoy a less hectic event, and wish the couple well. Just the perfect ending to the festive weekend. 

Pictures of the dress will follow soon. Once I got her in her gown, she walked out and the first to see her was her father. He was so overcome with emotion. He looked at me with tears welling in his eyes, and all he could do was mouth the words, "Thank You." And then, the look on her soon to be husband's face...that truly sealed the deal :) 

A quiet little exhibit recently opened here in Chicago, Maria Pinto: 25 Years. It's a free exhibit that can be seen at the historic Water Tower on Michigan Ave. This is not Water Tower Place, the shopping mall, but the actual Water Tower which was one of the few buildings left standing after the great Chicago fire. The exhibit runs through January 8, 2017. If by chance you come to Chicago to shop during the holidays, this will make a great diversion, and add to your entire Chicago experience. For those of us who live here in Chicago, this is an exhibit that you can visit numerous times as it's a rotating exhibit of garments from her archives.

Many of you may never have heard of Maria Pinto. She has a very interesting story, she decided to attend the Art Institute at the age of 30. Her first job was at Geoffrey Beene. She initially sold wraps and shawls, and then ultimately launched a full line of clothing.

Her new pre-Fall collection is quite nice. These are clothes for real women, stylish and yet appropriate for many body types. My Celtic roots especially like the bold plaid :) I have left the pictures in a large format so that you could really get a close look. Hope you enjoy the collection! If you would like to see more, you can find the full collection HERE.

Love how the squares were pieces together and placed on the bias to create this dress.





I especially like the unexpected detail of the inset on these pants.



She has a number of pieces in the collection with which she has paired the squares. This is an oversized shawl. Not exactly practical, but scroll down to see a smaller scarf. I do love the drama though!


A lovely dress that anyone can wear. Love the pockets too!


Here's the scarf. So easy to do and adds a lot of drama to a garment.




I am in love with this top, and especially the sleeves. Stay tuned for a Sleeves On Saturdays post ;) 



I always enjoy learning a little more about designers, their career, how they got started, advice they have to share. The video below is rather long, an hour. It's one that you can listen to while you are in your studio. But, there will be times that you'll want to look up and see the clothes. So just a warning :)



Have a wonderful week!
Be sure to do a little something special for yourself :)
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

15 comments:

  1. LOVE the plaid (I'm Celtic too), which rarely gets such a beautiful showing. Really love the colors too (probably because they're my family plaid colors). The pictures are so good, you can almost reach out and touch the fabric. All of the designs are really beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how we don't fall far from our roots :) Who knows, our ancestors may have crossed paths at some point as my family plaid is also similar. Glad you enjoyed the post :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for introducing me to Maria Pinto. I love these clothes and they look so wearable yet distinctive. I'm making some sketches now.
    Can't wait to see THE DRESS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your Niece's wedding went well hope their future is as lovely as their wedding day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lucy 😊 I think they have a wonderful future together as they are truly partners in all they do.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness Rhonda, that was a fantastic documentary, I felt the need to alert my 'classmates' at fashion college to it. Thank you for sharing. That tartan outfit is simply stunning, as always your blog is 100% inspiration, thank goodness you continue! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your message was the first I read this morning. Just the little pick me up I needed. Thank you 😊

      Delete
  5. Just a little breakfast for 80! It's you who is an inspiration Rhonda. Thanks for sharing (again!) and I can't wait to see your nieces dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhonda - the power of sewing! You've quietly demonstrated that power already with your niece's father's and (now) husband's reaction. You are an enabler and an inspiration all on your own. I do like designers who make real clothes that can be worn on a daily basis. Thank, once again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for your review and comments on the Pinto exhibition. I had no idea and will make it my business to get over there to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to be downtown next week and I plan to stop by. I'll let you know what I think 😉

      Delete
  8. Now that's how to use plaids! Thanks for the review and pics, perfect to get in the mood for fall sewing. And go Cubs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked the plaid business suit! Not sure about all that hanging bits on some of the garments. The green tunic and orange dress were special too.

    ReplyDelete