f

Monday, September 14, 2015

Monday Morning Inspiration

The Most Famous Fashion Designer that You Never Heard Of

Did you know that there was a fashion designer on the Titanic? I did not. One of the books on my summer reading list was The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott. I had thought that it was just a fictional story, but as it turns out, it's actually historical fiction. Lady Lucille Duff Gordon, a British fashion designer was on the Titanic, and she survived. She survived, but not without consequence. She was the first British-based designer to achieve international acclaim, was a widely acknowledged innovator in couture styles as well as in fashion industry public relations. Apart from originating the "mannequin parade", using live models, a precursor to the modern fashion show, and training the first professional models, she launched liberating slit skirts and low necklines, popularized less restrictive corsets and promoted alluring and pared-down lingerie. Opening branches of her London house, Lucile Ltd, in Paris, New York City, and Chicago, her business became the first global couture brand, dressing a trend-setting clientele of royalty, nobility and stage and film personalities.
Below are few of her designs that I thought you might enjoy seeing.





The book is a fascinating read. It will raise questions, at least it did for me, about what you might do if you were to find yourself in such a horrific situation as did the survivors of the Titanic. The book also gives insight into what was happening at the time for women. The Suffrage Movement was well under way. Women were cutting their hair. Chanel's less restrictive clothing was gaining in popularity. The author used interesting fictional characters to truly bring this period of time to life.
Check your library to see if they might have a copy of the book, and there's always Amazon. If by chance you do decide to buy the book, be sure to pass it along to a friend :)
Wishing you a lovely start to your week!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

10 comments:

  1. Love the review on The Dressmaker. I immediately went to Amazon and bought the book.
    Also, I am sending you a picture of the sunrise in front of my house over the lake. I think you will enjoy it. Hope you get it via email

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that Lucille was part of this book -- now I really want to read it! Did you know that she was half-Canadian, and raised just down the road from me in Guelph, Ontario? And that her sister grew up to be the novelist Elinor Glyn? A racy pair, the two of them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her sister was also features in the book. I thought she might be fictional. Fun to know that she was not. Thanks :)

      Delete
  3. What an interesting story and such beautiful clothes. That velvet cocoon coat, I am drooling over it! Will look out for the book. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually listened to this book years ago and loved it. After reading your review, I think I might listen to it again.
    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rhonda thanks for sharing the “Lady Lucille Duff Gordon” story. I remember her from the Titanic, but I too thought she was fictional. I googled her and really enjoyed her life’s history. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering about this book. Now it is Definitely on my list. Thank you. I love this period in time for fashion. So much happening. So much creativity and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well this has peaked my interest, am going to check this book out. Stopping by the library first, and if not Amazon. Her gowns are exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the book review - I will search it out. The designs are truly beautiful and make me yearn for those more elegant times (and a lifestyle to wear them).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read it after you mentioned it awhile back. THANKS for posting the pictures!
    Hugs, Joy

    ReplyDelete