f

Monday, October 28, 2013

Monday Morning Inspiration

I fell in love with with Yves St. Laurent when I was 16 years old. I had the opportunity to buy the most exquisite wool gabardine wrap skirt and a cream colored cashmere sweater. The store where I worked had purchased these pieces. Surprisingly, very few of the pieces were sold, so they were marked down many times and then finally with my employ discount, I could afford them. Those pieces were my go to pieces for many years until they finally became so worn that it was time to let them go. 
My first fashion book then would follow suit,    
The book was published as part of an exhibition that the Metropolitan Museum of Art did in 1983/84. Sadly, I did not have the opportunity to see the exhibition, but I thankfully, I have the book. Today I pulled out a few pieces to share. Some are from his earlier work. I thought I would do this as a 2 part piece since this book is so jammed packed. Inspiration abounds in the pictures, so I hope you enjoy them as much as I've enjoyed pulling them out of the book.






 I love how demure this dress is from the front and the pop of surprise in the back.
Few of us would want to wear these pieces below as they are, but I think that they offer up some wonderful ideas. Maybe pull out a piece of one of these and add to a garment.

 Twiggy in the above dress.
The skirt on the far right would be a wonderful piece to copy. Get a beautiful piece of wool and then bead the hip yoke.
Color blocking seems to be back in a big way and Yves St. Laurent did it so well.





I'll pull out a few more pieces next week.
Wishing you all a super productive and fun week!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

7 comments:

  1. Amazing photos. The color blocked dresses are in style now. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the 'tribal' evening gowns and the quirky colour blocked image dresses are inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breathtaking! that color blocking totally rocks. The shape are incredible!

    Just WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so love the Ives Saint Laurent, and your timing for this post is perfect for me, as I head to Paris Friday a.m. and will be going on a private tour of his studio, thanks to Susan Khalje's Couture trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you lucky little duck!! Have a wonderful time in Paris. Can't wait to hear all about it.

      Delete