f

Monday, September 23, 2013

Monday Morning Inspiration

This is the last of my Ungaro fabric swatch books. I hope I haven't bored you too much over the last weeks. It's such a treat for me to go through the books, a little like looking through a Christmas catalog and dreaming of pretty things :)
This book is from the 1989/90 Fall/Winter collection. The shoulders are still wide, the waist is still nipped in and the style is still exaggerated. What I especially love as I have said before is the incredible and interesting way the fabrics are paired. I have learned so much about fabric pairing by going through these books. 






















 I especially like how these fabrics work together.

 Take note of the pop of mustard in the scarf against the hot pink.









 I included the fabric swatches for the above suit because I found it interesting that one is a wool challis and the other a silk organza. Perfectly matched.

These are two fabrics that I would never have combined, but I love the way they work together. Notice that the jacket is quilted and the skirt is ruched.


 Again, an interesting fabric combination. The top swatch that was used for the suit is especially pretty.





So that's it. I have one more book that I would like to share. It is not a fabric swatch catalog, just pretty pictures from the Fall/Winter 1990/91 Armani collection. The photographs are especially pretty. I'll share those pictures next week.
Wishing you all the loveliest of weeks.
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

13 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for your nice comment on my contest entry dress! I am really enjoying these old "eye candy" books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, how have I missed previous posts on these! This stuff is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are stunning, every one of them is a work of art. They would look fabulous framed on a sewing studio wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just looking at one of the books yesterday to see how I could take one apart for the pictures:)

      Delete
  4. Thanks Rhonda - I loved seeing these, and really appreciated your eye. I've learned a lot about prints, too...several of them seem to be smaller-scale and yet they are combined to make such a strong, impactful look! Come to think of it, I don't combine large prints too well, either - but I LOVE this look! I shall be braver in my Fall sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn, so glad you enjoyed them. I think with combining prints it's a just go for it kind of a thing. Be bold and give it a try!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing. Ungaro has always been one of my absolute favorite designers. I still wear his perfume, Diva, but it difficult to find these days. Love the swatch books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful blast of eighties styles. Beautiful drawings and such a pleasure to share. Many of my collections of illustrations are from the eighties. Perhaps that was the last fashion era that made a big deal about illustration? Thx so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right and I'm not sure why. It seems like that when Antonio Lopez died, fashion illustration, especially for editorials went out the window. So glad you enjoyed the pictures:)

      Delete
  7. Have really enjoyed seeing these. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow these pictures are beautiful......love love the colors and prints. Thank you so much for sharing them :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rhonda I have loved going back in time a little with each post from the swatch books. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete