f

Monday, August 12, 2013

Monday Morning Inspiration

Good Morning! I hope your week is off to a great start.
We had our neighborhood garden walk yesterday, so of course my husband and I worked like crazy to get the garden ready. Nothing like straightening up before company arrives!! I tried to take a video of my garden, but I need to figure out how to correctly upload it. I was so frustrated and I thought to myself, "every Tom, Dick and Harry can upload the silliest things and yet, I can't figure this out." Oh well, I will, I'm determined!
So now for a little fun for this Monday morning. Today I want to share my favorite book, the fashion of Madeleine Vionnet. I wasn't able to find the exact edition that I have, but here is a link to an updated version, http://www.amazon.com/dp/1452110697/ref=asc_df_14521106972651299?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-1583-100-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395097&creativeASIN=1452110697. Be fair warned, this is not an inexpensive book, but the book is so jammed packed with wonderful pictures and patterns that I think if you can only choose one book, this would be the one that I would  like to have. Thankfully, I got lucky quite a few years ago and was able to buy mine for a song. Lucky! 
 The beauty of Vionnet's garments lies in her expertise of knowing how to design bias draped garments.





 

Here is an example of one of the many garments that have patterns drawn out.  
 Below is the line drawing of the above garment.
 And here is the pattern.


Vionnet was even a master of draping fur.
 She also loved surface design.

Below, the top of the dress is completely smocked,
and below the circles are gathered. They begin quite small at the shoulders and become larger as they descend to the hipline.
The drawings in the book are so well done.
 Tying scarves.
A few years ago, a group of ladies who all belong to The Association of Sewing and Design Professionals got together and created a number of dresses using the patterns in this book. Here is a link to the Threads article,http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/11027/vionnet-in-miniature and below are just a few of their creations.


I had the opportunity to see all of their garments and I was truly amazed.
So, that's it for this Monday morning.
Wishing you all the loveliest of weeks!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures, Rhonda. I'd love to see your garden video if you figure it out. Guess what? Lauren and I have a bunch of pillowcases cut out, ready to sew. Soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to figure out how to compress the video, at least I think that's what I need to do. I tried to download a program that will edit videos and oh my goodness did that end up in a mess. My niece is coming over next week, so I'll see if she will help. I think she goes back and talks about how funny I am to her friends ;)
      You have made my day with the pillowcases!! I had one other mother and daughter team who did some and they really enjoyed it. Knowing Lauren the little bit that I do, hers will be out of this world I'm sure!!!! Have a great day Andrea:)

      Delete
    2. Everyone needs a teenager to help with the tech stuff!

      Delete
    3. She isn't a teenager, just a true techy kind of a person. Even better than a teenager!!

      Delete
  2. wow what fabulous pictures - you must have the best ever library at your house.

    FYI when I upload video's on my blog I do it via You Tube I think You Tube does that part of compressing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did try to upload it to YouTube and that is where I had the message that I needed to do something. I wondered if my problem had to do with the fact that I am using my iPhone, but then I realized that just about every squirrelly video out there is probably filmed with a phone. I'll get it figured out, one way or another :)

      Delete
  3. Totally gorgoeus! I would love to take a stroll through your sewing library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breathtakingly gorgeous! I wish we still lived in a time where we had places to go to wear beautiful clothes~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love every one of these. Thank you again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete