f

Monday, April 8, 2013

Monday Morning Inspiration

Good Morning Everyone and welcome to a new week!! I have always loved Mondays. Although it's really just another day, I've always felt that it somehow holds the promise of new possibilities.
Today, we will once again take a look at some of the beautiful clothes from the book American Beauty by Patricia Mears. It is such a lovely book and it is filled with a wide range of inspiration. You can find the book on Amazon here.
The pieces that I'm showcasing today are not the over the top ball gowns that we all enjoy. They are pieces that feature the designer's ability to cut and fit in such a beautiful way.   
A beautiful suit from Chanel. Silk and wool, ca. 1955.
 Bonnie Cashin. Japanese resist-dyes silk, 1957. Rectangular cutting at it's best.
More rectangular pieces from  Bonnie Cashin. Japanese resist-dyed silk. 1957.
Geoffrey Beene. Black wool crepe, dark grey jersey, rhinestones. Fall 1993.
 A muslin or toile from Madeline Vionnet, ca. 1919. The master of the bias drape.
Both above and below, Elizabeth Hawes. Above, ca. 1932, Striped grey silk.
Below, ca. 1936, Lavender, violet and ivory striped silk brocade.

Above, Yeolee, Eye of Shiva Skirt, Spring 1997. I will be doing a tutorial on this skirt for an upcoming Fabulous Free Pattern Friday post.
Pauline Trigere, the master of the cut. Navy blue and white cotton cloque dress and coat. ca. 1964.
 Narcisco Rodriguez, back jacket detail. Beautifully constructed lines and fit.
 Elizabeth Hawes, dress made from vintage kimono fabric, late 1930's.
Pauline Trigere, evening coat, cream wool, 1969. Notice how the simple slant of the bound buttonhole gives this coat an eye catching detail.
What I find interesting about all of these pieces is the fact that they are as wearable now as they were when they were initially created. A true mark of great design.
As always, wishing you all a lovely, possibility filled week!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

13 comments:

  1. Love Elizabeth Hawes' Billowy Sleeves. Reminds me of the pattern you gave us and that I love.

    Jenedesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for the skirt tutorial. I may even have enough of a striped fabric to make this. It's so strikingly beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stripes are big for the spring and summer. I don't have anything this wide so....an excuse to go shopping! !

      Delete
  3. I agree. The Narciso Rodrigues piece is like much of Chado Ralph Rucci with it's cut and detail. Love your Mondays, Rhonda. You sure help me start the week nicely with these lovely posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my these are beautiful. Just beautiful and inspiring indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my. There are way so many inspirational pieces to sit and ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very nice thanks a lot for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such fun use of stripes. And I really, really love that first Chanel outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You see that I put the Chanel suit first, obviously a favorite of mine! I'm surprised that you are the only one to mention it.

      Delete