Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas Determination

My husband and I have been married for 26years and for each of those 26 years I have given him a ski related ornament for Christmas. He loves to ski. When we married, I didn't ski and had no desire to ski, but reluctantly, I decided to give it a try. The first couple of years didn't go so well. I was scared to death and so cold that at times I thought I would die. Finally, I found a woman who was on the Olympic ski team and she taught me what to wear and how to wear it. What a difference the right clothes can make. I really didn't trust her at first as I had never had on so few clothes, but she assured me that I would be warm and I was. Incredible. Now, I love to ski and I have a passion for snowshoeing.

This post is really about the crazy little ornament I made and not about what to wear. My husband has an ornament that was made from clothespins that has been his favorite. For 26 years I have tried and tried to trump that ornament without success...until now.

I love seed pods of any kind and have quite a collection of seeds that I have collected. This year I was determined to make an ornament for my husband. I had pine cones and decided that a pine cone would be a good place to start. For the head I used a seed from a sago palm.

The goggle eyes were seeds from a tree. I have no idea what type of tree. I saw the seeds on the tree while I was walking my dogs and thought they would work.

The skis are seed pods from a vine that grows in Galveston, TX. The vine makes the most beautiful orange flowers, but it is very invasive and loves to grow in trees. The vine survives, but the tree doesn't.
The ski poles were made from some small sticks. I love the baskets. They are also seed pods from a flowering tree that grows in Texas. When I brought them in the house and put them on the table, the seeds fell out. As I looked at them, I realized that they would be great for a moustache!
Now no skier is complete without a hat. I found some trim I had left over from a home dec project. It worked!!
The scarf was also some left over fabric and I just glued some of the fringe pieces to the ends. It didn't come together until 8 P.M. on Christmas Eve. I was so happy with the final result that I didn't want to wait to give it to him, but my husband has a little more patience than I do, so we waited. He loved it and finally, I trumped that crazy little clothespin skier!

1 comment:

  1. Extremely cute, and so inventive. He looks like he has real personality!

    ReplyDelete